Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Blueberries for Ms. Rogers

One of my favorite things about August is that the blueberries are ready at Owl's Head Berry Farm in Richmond. They have the coolest set up I've ever seen in my travels to various berry farms. The rows are planted similar to rice terraces in the Philippines and hanging above all the rows on thin wire are sparkly silver strips waving in the breeze to ward off birds. If that wasn't enough they have an intercom system set up with raptor sounds blasting so that any berry loving bird brave enough to fly under the waving silver strips will be scared off by the thought that a raptor is in hot pursuit!! Very clever don't you think? On Tuesday and Thursday evenings they have live music with loads of different performers to entertain the berry pickers.

I also love, love, love the book Blueberries For Sal by Robert McCloskey. If you aren't familiar with this story Little Sal and Little Bear both lose their mothers while eating blueberries and almost end up with the other's mother. Click on the title to listen to the story and see the illustrations from the book compliments of New Hampshire Public Television.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon's Mom said...

Mrs. Rogers: This is Cordelia. I like blueberries. I love to go berry picking and I like that story.

Williston Enrichment said...

So glad to hear you like the story Cordelia. I never get tired of reading it!